Nutrition Affects All Areas of Wellness
Homemade nutritious food improves wellness! Source: Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachels_photo_world/ 3580436621/)
March is National Nutrition Month, sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Good nutrition is an integral part of wellness, because food impacts all eight dimensions of one's wellness----for instance, nourishing one's body (physical dimension), eating with friends and family (social dimension), observing symbolic meanings associated with foods (spiritual dimension), affording healthy foods (financial dimension), accessing food (environmental dimension), learning about good nutrition (intellectual dimension), teaching someone about nutrition (occupational dimension), and taking care of oneself (emotional dimension).
|Community gardens offer social support, connections with nature, fresh food, and more! Source: Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachels_photo_world/3580436621)|
There are many ways to incorporate healthy eating into your life to achieve overall wellness. You can eat healthy while still eating your favorite foods, such as baking chicken instead of frying it. If you're on a budget
, you can eat healthy by choosing store brands over pricier options. Community gardening
is a healthy eating activity that can improve wellness in all
of the eight dimensions of wellness. If any of these ideas inspire you or you have some of your own, bring your loved ones together for a meal to further discuss nutrition and wellness. For more ideas about healthy eating information and activities, please see our resources section below.
Promote #EatWellness on Social Media
To encourage your community to improve their nutrition, share these sample Facebook and Twitter messages and links with your friends and followers. On Twitter, we will be following the #EatWellness hashtag to see what you add to the conversation!
|Source: SAMHSA's Facebook page|
Facebook (remember to "tag" SAMHSA in your post by writing "@samhsa" and selecting "SAMHSA" from the options):
- March is National Nutrition Month! Food and good nutrition affect all areas of wellness, including physical, emotional, and financial. Learn more about healthy eating and encourage your loved ones to take control of their nutrition! @samhsa
- Community gardens can provide good nutrition with benefits to ALL eight dimensions of wellness! Learn more about finding a community garden near you! @samhsa
- Poor nutrition may lead to various health problems. Learn how to work with a registered dietitian to improve your wellness! @samhsa
- Having diabetes doesn't mean one has to eat boring foods! Learn more about delicious, healthy foods and encourage your loved ones to talk to their health care provider about their nutritional needs. @samhsa
- Heart health and nutrition are closely related. What foods are you eating to improve your wellness? Learn more for a healthy meal!
Twitter (use the hashtag "#EatWellness" to follow the conversation):
There are many health observances throughout the year. Visit the list of National Health Observances
to see what other wellness-related issues people are talking about this month!
Wellness News and Resources